Google announced that Google Voice calls would integrate with the Hangouts service. People who don’t prefer calling over their carriers’ cellular network, can now use Hangouts and make free calls over WiFi or Data-plan. And the best part is new Hangouts don’t even need a SIM card in your phone in order to make a call.This will allows you to reach out to your loved ones even in WiFi-only situations.
Moreover, Google Hangouts now features free calling on Android, iOS and the Web to any US or Canadian phone number, or to any other Hangout user. But International calling does cost, but they say their rates are so low that you probably won’t even notice spending any money.
If you are interested of making free (or cheap) calls, follow this steps;
Using Hangouts Web Application:
- Open Hangouts and log on on your account.
- When you look at your list of contacts, you’ll notice a search bar right at the top. Click on it, and your friend list will go into alphabetical order. You’ll also see the appearance of a phone icon on the upper right corner.
- Click on the phone icon, and from there, you can type two different things.
- Name: Type in the desired person’s name, and their number will pop up, so long as they’ve made their number available to you. Press enter and the call will start.
- Phone number: Put in the specific Google Voice or phone number, and press Enter. The call should start immediately.
Using Hangouts for Android:
- First you will need to update Hangouts application to version 2.3 or above. If it isn’t still available on your country use this apk : Hangouts 2.3
- Then you’ll need to download and install Hangouts Dialer app from the Google Play Store. This will turn on the phone call function in the Hangout Application.
- Finally, open the Hangouts Dialer. There will be a dial pad icon. Press that, and you can type in the number you want to call. Then just press the phone icon to make the call.
Using Hangouts for iOS:
- Download the latest Google Hangouts app. The new voice calling option is already included, so you don’t have to download any extra features.
- Open the app and you’ll notice the bottom row has four options, including “Call.”
- There are two quick ways to make calls.
- Press “Calls”: This option will take you to a page of your calls, where you’ll see a dial pad icon in the upper righthand corner. If you click that, you can type in a number you want to call and be connected immediately.
- Scroll and select: If you’re looking at your contact list, just scroll through and pick the person you want to call. On the top of your selected Hangout will be a row of options, which includes a phone icon that says “Voice.” Click that and the call will begin.
That’s how to make free calls using Google Hangouts Application. Please share this post and comment if you’ll be taking advantage of this. 🙂