Last week I received this mail from my hosting provider (Scaleway) mentioning they had a critical disk failure and couldn’t recover any of the files. Therefore, sadly I lost most of files I kept on that volume, and also I lost my blog content :(.
Your instance ‘xxxxxx’ is running on a blade that had a critical disk failure. We were not able to recover any of the files located on that disk.
Your node has been stopped, the volume located on the disk that had an issue has been detached from your server and is now available on the volume view, if you made snapshot of this disk or if you halted your node recently, you will recover your disk to the latest stop state. If you had another volume located on another physical disk, it will stay attached to your server.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Files were gone, but couldn’t let years of effort I put on my blog go in vain. So I tried different mechanisms, and this is how I finally recovered all my blog content.
1. Log into the google webmasters tool, and list down URL Errors under Crawl > Crawl Errors
2. Under Not found tab, you’ll be able to see the list of webpages that went missing after the incident.
3. Take one item and search google for that url. (make sure to have “” surrounding the url).
4. If it returns a search result, there’s a good chance that google already indexed the page and have it cached in their servers.
5. Go to cachedview.com, and type in the url of your missing webpage. (exactly as it appeared on google webmasters tool) and click on Google Web Cache button.
6. Then it will load the cached content of your missing web page.
7. Now create a new post on your blog and copy content from cached web page. (Make sure to keep the same URL, keywords, category, etc..)
8. Repeat same steps for each Not found item in google webmasters tool.
9. That’s it.
10. Now that we all learned the lesson, it’s always good to have a periodic backup strategy to be on the safe side in such incidents. 🙂